It’s hard to overstate the importance of self-love. Caring for oneself is often overlooked in the rush to care for everything else around us, but it’s critical that we all take time to nourish and protect ourselves. Proper self-love makes you a stronger and more capable person so you can better serve others as well.
What Is Self-Love
Self-love is an appreciation for yourself that’s nourished through activities that support your physical, mental, and spiritual health. This love of self requires a supportive inner voice, realistic expectations of oneself, and mindful care that nourishes rather than harms.
How to Self-Love
There are many ways that you can practice self-love. Seek those actions that help you feel peaceful, supported, and strong. Some examples of self-love activities include:
- Enjoying a healthy diet.
- Bathing and grooming oneself with care.
- Scheduling regular health care appointments.
- Creating a soothing living space.
- Setting boundaries for people or activities that harm us.
- Engaging in supportive social interactions.
- Taking quiet moments for meditation or mindfulness.
- Buying only the things you love and discarding those you don’t.
Self-love affirmations are statements that you repeat to yourself often to reaffirm important truths. Some affirmations that you might try include:
- I am worthy of joy and love.
- I love my body and everything it does for me.
- I grow and learn every day.
- I will not apologize for being me.
- I love and accept myself unconditionally.
Write your chosen affirmation on a piece of paper and tape it to the mirror, your car’s visor, the refrigerator door, and anywhere else you’re likely to see it throughout the day. Repeat your affirmation daily until it’s firmly ingrained as a core belief.
Practicing self-love will give you a strong foundation that you can lean on in times of trouble and build on as you manifest the life of your dreams.
what is self-love | love of self | importance of self-love | examples of self-love | self-love affirmations | how to self-love